The National Juvenile Defender Center has created and continues to expand a network of juvenile defenders. We administer a number of email listservs to distribute information and encourage dialogue among attorneys who represent youth. To join our listservs, please fill out the form below, indicating in the message box which of the following lists you would like to join, along with a brief description of your professional role and organization or office.
- JuvGeneral—This list is for anyone with an interest in juvenile justice issues, including defenders, prosecutors, judges, probation officers, academics, parents, students, and others. Members will receive periodic announcements of major news in the field of juvenile justice.
- JuvDefend—This list is designed solely for juvenile defenders. Members will receive emails relating news of interest to those in the defense field, such as updates on cases or state reforms.
- JuvDiscuss—This defense-attorney only list provides a forum for juvenile defenders to discuss issues that arise in their daily practice or that have broader policy implications. Members can post questions or seek feedback from other juvenile defenders on challenges in or approaches to their defense practice or reform efforts.
- State Listservs—Leadership within the indigent defense systems in certain states have elected to establish their own discussion forums to cater to state-specific issues, practices, and resources. These state listservs include:
- GAjuvDefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Georgia
- Ksjuvdefend: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Kansas
- Lajuveniledefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Louisiana
- Michiganjuvdefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders Michigan
- MOJuvDefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Missouri
- MTJuvDefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Montana
- NEjuvdefender: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Nebraska
- NJjuvdefend: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in New Jersey
- NVjuvdefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders Nevada
- Ohio: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Ohio
- ORJuvDefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Oregon
- TNJuvDefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Tennessee
- UTJuvDefenders: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Utah
- VAJuvDiscuss: A discussion list for juvenile defenders in Virginia
- Regional Defender Center Listservs—Each region of the country has its own listserv to cater to a smaller, geographically connected audience. The regions (please see our Regional Centers page for more information) are:
Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, and Tennessee
District of Columbia, Maryland, Puerto Rico, Virginia, and West Virginia
Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin
- New England
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont
Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, and South Carolina
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah
Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming
- Trainer Listserv—JTIPcertified: A discussion list exclusively for Certified JTIP Trainers to share information on the JTIP curriculum, training materials, and logistical issues relevant to JTIP training.
- PostDispo Listserv—A discussion lists focusing on juvenile post-disposition advocacy – which includes probation/parole/supervision, confinement/placement, reentry record clearance (sealing/expungement), and de-registration advocacy.
- RuralDefend—A discussion lists focusing youth defense and resource challenges in rural communities.
- EndShackling—A discussion lists for youth defenders and policy advocates working to eliminate the indiscriminate shackling of youth in state and federal courts.
If you are a defender interested in receiving fact sheets, training guides, and other informational material by mail, or if you have any other questions about arranging training sessions in your area, requesting technical assistance, or the work of NJDC, please contact us.